Home » ASN News
Report: DHC-8-100 hard landing and gear collapse in Norway
8 July 2015
DHC-8 LN-WIF as it came to rest at Stokka Airport (Avinor)

DHC-8 LN-WIF as it came to rest at Stokka Airport (Avinor)

The Accident Investigation Board Norway (AIBN) concluded that a sudden increase in wind was one of the factors that caused a hard landing accident in Norway involving a DHC-8.

On September 15, 2010, a de Havilland Canada DHC-8-103B was operating Widerøes Flyveselskap flight WF701 from Bodø to Sandnessjøen-Stokka Airport in Norway.
The pilot in command was Pilot Not Flying (PNF) and acted as instructor, seated in the right cockpit seat. Pilot Flying (PF) was a captain candidate, seated in the left seat. The captain candidate had recently passed a skill test on the aircraft type and was on his third day with line training.
Before the approach to runway 03, the crew briefed each other about the company wind limits for landing at Stokka Airport, which permit maximum 15 kt wind speed within or into sector 060-150°. Because of high terrain east of the airport and based on experience with difficult landing conditions with wind down from the mountains, the company had established restrictive wind limitations. The AFIS unit gave information about the wind conditions three times and the wind speed was then within the company limits. The last wind information, given two minutes before landing, showed variable wind direction from the right side at 9-15 kt.
In a very short time the wind began gusting up to 17 kt. The AFIS officer was about to grab the microphone and inform flight 701, but this was too late because he saw the aircraft was about to touch down. At the same time as the radio altimeter announced 20 ft, the pilots experienced a significant increased descend. The captain candidate decided to do an aborted landing and was about to increase power, when the aircraft hit the ground.
The landing was heavy and the right main gear collapsed with the result that the aircraft settled down on its side. Despite this, the pilots managed to keep the aircraft on the runway. After the aircraft had come to a complete stop, an evacuation was initiated. No persons were injured.

The AIBN concluded:
a) In this accident AIBN concluded that the various operational and technical factors each were within the applicable limits. The combination of approach angle, limited experience on the aircraft and sudden wind change, meant that the plane had a hard landing.
b) The increase in wind occurred just before the plane landed and came so quickly that AFIS authority was unable to notify the change.
c) During the landing, the combination of vertical and horizontal forces on the right main landing gear exceeded the value for which the aircraft manufacturer designed the safety bolt (Fuse Pin) to break. This meant that the right main landing gear collapsed.

More information: