Home » ASN News
iPhone catches fire on Czech passenger plane at Tel Aviv
19 August 2014

Passengers on a Czech passenger plane at Tel Aviv Airport, Israel, had to quicky deplane after the iPhone of one of the passengers suddenly caught fire during the boarding process.

On August 14, 2014, a Travel Service Boeing 737-800 (OK-TVL) was being prepared for departure from Tel Aviv when a female passenger noted smoke coming from her hand bag. She took out her iPhone which emitted smoke and reportedly also flames. The passengers quickly deplaned. Media reports on the incident do not detail the actions taken by the crew to contain the fire.

In any case, flight QS1287 was able to leave Tel Aviv for Prague with a delay of about one hour.

Just this July ICAO updated it’s guidance for aviation personnel on how to deal with lithium battery fires.

 

More information: